Thanks for that. I already had the node-red beans working on a Raspberry Pi 3, so I installed the bean sdk, and I get:
sudo bean program_firmware -a 987bf3591a37
2016-09-15T07:14:22.511Z INFO Setting scan timeout: 15 seconds
2016-09-15T07:14:22.545Z INFO Starting to scan...
Found Bean with name/address: Bean1/987bf3591a37
2016-09-15T07:14:22.614Z INFO No longer scanning...
2016-09-15T07:14:22.617Z INFO Connecting to device: Bean1
2016-09-15T07:14:23.973Z INFO Looking up services for device: Bean1
2016-09-15T07:14:25.202Z INFO Setting up IDENTIFY and BLOCK notifications
2016-09-15T07:14:25.210Z INFO Service setup successfully: Generic Access
2016-09-15T07:14:25.214Z INFO Service setup successfully: Generic Attribute
2016-09-15T07:14:25.217Z INFO Service setup successfully: Device Information
2016-09-15T07:14:25.222Z INFO Setting up IDENTIFY and BLOCK notifications
2016-09-15T07:14:25.224Z INFO Service setup successfully: Unknown
2016-09-15T07:14:25.225Z INFO Service setup successfully: Battery Service
2016-09-15T07:14:25.226Z INFO Service setup successfully: Scan Parameters
2016-09-15T07:14:25.227Z INFO Service setup successfully: Human Interface Device
2016-09-15T07:14:25.228Z INFO Service setup successfully: Unknown
2016-09-15T07:14:25.383Z INFO Service setup successfully: OAD Service
2016-09-15T07:14:25.412Z INFO Service setup successfully: Serial Transport Service
2016-09-15T07:14:25.414Z INFO All services have been setup!
2016-09-15T07:14:25.448Z INFO Char read success(2a27): 2A
Programming device firmware: 987bf3591a37
2016-09-15T07:14:25.462Z INFO Begin update called
2016-09-15T07:14:25.503Z INFO Char read success(2a26): 201608170000 Img-B
2016-09-15T07:14:25.504Z INFO Comparing firmware versions: Bundle version (201608170000), Bean version (201608170000)
2016-09-15T07:14:25.506Z INFO FW Version Error: Versions are the same, no update needed
FW update failed: Versions are the same, no update needed
So the firmware looks up to date. I updated Bluetooth on the Raspberry Pi and it seems to be working a bit more reliably, but scans still often don't find the bean, unless I switch it off and on.
The Android Bean Loader seems variable. I have periods where it works reasonably well and others where it fails over and over again. Moving the bean and phone to a different place in the house seemed to have some effect, but again it is variable.